Recommended value for max-cache-size for cache-only shared hosts..

Michael Graff mgraff at isc.org
Fri Jun 1 03:17:36 UTC 2012

Hmm, I don't quite think this is a good idea.  BIND 9 (since 9.5) manages memory quite well, but it will happily consume all you have and go into swap.

I'd set it high enough (on a dedicated machine) to use plenty of RAM, but low enough to not cause other OS components to swap out or BIND itself to swap.  75% or 85% range seems like a good starting point.

--Michael