Recommended value for max-cache-size for cache-only shared hosts..

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Mon Jun 4 18:36:07 UTC 2012

At Fri, 1 Jun 2012 21:14:06 +0000,
Dan Mason <danmason at qwest.net> wrote:

> > cleaning interval has been effectively no-op since BIND 9.5.  Tweaking
> > it won't improve performance, although it shouldn't cause a bad effect
> > either.
>
> If your cache is too small the CPU will peg when the cleaning-interval goes.  Maybe that's changed but the behavior still exists in the 9.7 branch.  Setting your cache size really depends on your query load.  On a resolver doing 15,000/qps having a cache of 256M will cause a problem during the cleaning-interval whereas if it's 2G you won't notice the interval at all.  Also on a busy resolver expect BIND to use about twice as much as where you set your limits.

Hmm, looking into the code again, I realized my memory was slightly
incorrect: "cleaning interval has been effectively no-op since BIND
9.5" should have been "cleaning interval has been effectively
meaningless and therefore disabled by default since BIND 9.5", and if
you explicitly enable it by setting cleaning-interval to a non 0
value, it will still do meaningless but expensive operations.

So, in conclusion, my main point should still stand: "Tweaking it
(cleaning-interval) won't improve performance".  And, it could
actually do harm.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.