Corrupted zone files on 9.9.1 slave, temp files with text contents...

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Jun 8 21:31:46 UTC 2012

> What have I done wrong or not done correctly following the installation?

This is discussed in the release notes for BIND 9.9.

The default masterfile format for slave zones is now "raw" instead of
"text".  When you upgrade your server, it will try to load the zones using
raw format.  Since they were in text format, it will fail; it will then
retransfer the zones from their master servers, and dump them again in
raw format.  The old text files get renamed to db-XXXXX, and can be
safely removed.

If you still want the local backups of your slave zones to be in text
format, you can specify that in named.conf by setting "masterfile-format
text;" in each of the zones.  But, raw zones load from disk twice as
fast as text, so personally, I'd just leave it the way it is.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.