Selective filtering of multi-address answers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 12 06:52:13 UTC 2012

In message <4FD66FE1.9000802 at hpl.hp.com>, Andris Kalnozols writes:
> On 6/11/2012 2:54 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Andris,
> >      you should also be pushing for proper multi-homed server
> > support in those applications that are causing you problems (read
> > just about all IP applications).  This is relatively easy for TCP.
> >
> > https://www.isc.org/community/blog/201101/how-to-connect-to-a-multi-homed-s
> erver-over-tcp
>
> I agree.  Our networking group has plans to push out IPv6 capability
> as one of the Next Big Projects and applications really need to have
> some kind of Happy Eyeballs capability.  I used your select(2) code
> in a legacy application that I ported to IPv6 and it works very well.
> Of course, this would also address the general problem of clients
> timing out on a bad multi-address answer regardless of IPv4/v6.

I'm glad someone has used it and that it has helped.  A comment in the
blog to that effect wouldn't go astray and would be different to all the
other blog spam that gets rejected.

I kept arguing that HE should just be made address family agnostic
but the working group wanted to do a IPv4 vs IPv6 thing.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org