OT: cached memory

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 13 22:08:27 UTC 2012

On Jun 13, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Dan Letkeman wrote:
> I understand the concept, as I have read many documents like that.  I
> am more interested in a real world example of how much free memory for
> caching is recommended for an average server.

The OS likes to keep a few megabytes of prezeroed pages handy for
emergency purposes, but otherwise, free memory is wasted memory.

One can infer that more memory would help system performance if
you are using more than a minor amount of swap, or if you see
significant amounts of paging/swapping in vmstat or similar...

Regards,
--
-Chuck