Delegation bit-rot detection?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jun 14 14:12:59 UTC 2012

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone knows of a script that will process our logs looking
> for "refused" queries, and then post-process these by tracing the delegations
> and telling me what the nearest enclosing zone is, the NS records that led
> inbound queries to us, and (if any of the other NS records are responding) the
> SOA.

One possibility is chiark-named-conf. It is oriented towards config file
generation, but it also does a lot of sanity checking.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~ian/git?p=chiark-utils.git;a=tree;f=scripts

Tony.
North Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes, South-east Iceland: Mainly northerly or
northeasterly 3 or 4, increasing 5 at times. Slight or moderate. Showers.
Good.