Moving DNS out of non-cooperative provider

Michael Graff mgraff at isc.org
Mon Jun 18 16:17:11 UTC 2012

Eventually, if you have done the parent delegations (through where you register your zone) and have updated the new NS records to point only to the new spot, the old zone will only be used by that provider, and nowhere else.  So, if com points to the new set of name servers, and example.com has the new set, 99.9999% of the world will be good.

The case exists where oldprovider.net's users (say, mail servers, etc) may continue using their copy of the zone.  However, I doubt you care overly much about that unless oldprovider.net is huge.

--Michael