Moving DNS out of non-cooperative provider

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 19 03:35:11 UTC 2012

In message <barmar-AAFD0C.23180418062012 at news.eternal-september.org>, Barry Mar
golin writes:
> In article <mailman.1066.1340036045.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 18/06/12 16:49, Alexander Gurvitz wrote:
> >
> > > with each query gets new NS record, and... refreshes the NS TTL ?
> >
> > No, that's not how TTLs work. They always count down.
>
> Didn't this used to be a problem?  When the caching server queries the
> cached nameservers, the response would include the old NS records in the
> Authority section.  The caching server would then replaced the cached NS
> records with these records, resetting the TTL to its full time.  As long
> as it continued performing queries against the old servers before the NS
> records timed out, the TTLs would keep getting reset, and never expire.
>
> I remember many people having trouble trying to get everyone to follow
> their delegation changes when they changed DNS providers, and it was
> because the old provider didn't remove the zone from their servers.
>
> Are recent versions of BIND better about this?  What about other caching
> DNS implementations?

It was partially fixed in 2002 which addresses the host provider
just keeps serving the old zone.

NS RRsets were only replaced if they changed (ignoring ttl) or had
higher credability.

The current releases address the issue where the zone's operators
are attempting to get new NS records cached by continually changing
their content.

3282.   [bug]           Restrict the TTL of NS RRset to no more than that
                        of the old NS RRset when replacing it.
                        [RT #27792] [RT #27884]

Mark
--