Machine friendly alternative to nsupdate

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Apr 1 16:01:27 UTC 2020

Shumon Huque <shuque at gmail.com> wrote:

> The implication is that "ignore" also means set the response code to
> NOERROR. Although, I suppose CNAME related UPDATE processing could have
> been special cased to return an error code like YXRRSET (even without a
> specified prerequisite clause).

Ah, yes, now you mention it I have remembered the relevant bit of how
UPDATE is designed: the idea is that update processing can't cause an
error response (except for internal server failures unrelated to the
contents of the zone or the update message); all errors come from
processing prerequisites, permissions, and the update prescan phase.

So if you want errors from an UPDATE you have to ask for them in the
prerequisites.

Tony.
Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis: Variable 3 or less, becoming west or north west 3
or 4. Smooth or slight. Showers. Good.