diff between "option domainname" and "ddns-domainname" ?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Jun 5 16:14:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:14:48PM -0800, kalyanasundaram S wrote:
> thanks simon,
> why the host declarations is being updated in dns while using ddns-domainname
> why not while using option domain-name

This is the default config, assuming interim style ddns updates:

char std_nsupdate [] = "                                                    \n\
option server.ddns-hostname =                                               \n\
  pick (option fqdn.hostname, option host-name);                            \n\
option server.ddns-domainname = config-option domain-name;                  \n\
option server.ddns-ttl = encode-int(lease-time / 2, 32);                    \n\
option server.ddns-rev-domainname = \"in-addr.arpa.\";";

'option' is derived from the cache of options supplied by the client.
'config-option' is derived from the server's cache of configuration
state (options it supplies to the client).

Seeing the default config in config language is probably a lot more
useful than what's currently codified in the manpages.  I'll make a
note to update that some day.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."