Can we run DHCP relay and DHCP Server on same machine?

ashok singh ashokr2k3 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 04:39:06 UTC 2006

The following scenario works well. We have to use the USE_SOCKETS  option defined in includes/site.h (ie uncomment the USE_SOCKETS  option). I tried the following on linux machine (kernel 2.4.20-8)  having two interfaces and it works.
ashok singh <ashokr2k3 at yahoo.com> wrote:   Can we run DHCP relay and DHCP Server on same machine but on different interfaces.?

  I have the following running

  dhcrelay -i eth0 -i eth1 192.168.0.1

  dhcpd eth0

  where eth0 IP is 192.168.0.1 and eth1 IP is 10.0.0.1

  I see DHCP DISCOVERs coming on eth1 and the relay agent forwards it to  192.168.0.1 but DHCP Server at the other interface( ie 192.168.0.1)  does not receive it. I sniffed the packets at eth0, i don't see any  dhcp packets there but the relay agent in its logs says that it has  forwarded BOOTREQUEST to 192.168.0.1

  I saw a similar post earlier but didn't find any answer.