Dhcp server linking doubt

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 14:04:06 UTC 2006

<sandeep.vashisht at wipro.com> wrote:

>I have a small doubt in the dhcp server.

I think it's more than a small doubt, you've asked essentially the
same question now several times, and I believe it's already been
answered.

>According to my thinking, the dhcp server takes the configuration file
>to configure the client.
>So the options fields in the dhcp server are statically linked, as the
>server will send the data depending on the configuration file
>

>I was going through the code and cound not find the dynamic linkage
>functions.
>I could find the hash table implementation which reads the configuration
>file for all the options.
>
>Plz let me know if we can use the dhcp server with the dynamically
>options.
>Like I can compute something from the incoming dhcp client packet for a
>particular option.
>As in the case of authentication option - 90.

There are some functions for computing options on the fly, check 'man
dhcp-eval' for details. However, these will not be sufficient to
compute anything as complex as authentication option 90.

The ISC server does not have this function, though it can handle any
static or simply calculated options - if you want this then it's
something you will have to get involved with coding. Taking a quick
look at rfc 3118, it's clear that this will not be a trivial function
to code.

Since there are few, if any, common clients out there that can use
this option, I doubt if it will be high on the ISC list of things to
do - so unless someone outside gets involved and build it then I
doubt if it will happen.

Simon