Creating expressions to set hostname of client

Aaron Randall aaron.randall at visionoss.com
Wed Jun 7 09:29:11 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have figured out the flags I need to get the DHCP server to set the
hostname of a DHCP Client.  My only issue is how to use the "option
host-name" option.  In the manual pages is says that the syntax is
"option host-name = expression", and an example is "option host-name =
binary-to-ascii(16,8,"-",substring(hardware,1,6));".  Can anyone explain
how this expression is constructed? And how I could change this to my
expression set the hostname to a fixed string followed by the last octet
of the IP it is given, for example, if the client receives an IP of
192.168.10.88 it would receive a hostname of "server88", a client with
IP 192.168.10.89 would receive "server89".

Many thanks :)

Aaron