(no subject)

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Jun 26 07:19:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am pretty new to this.

I have one class C and on name to use.

I decided that IPs in the range x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.127 are for hosts
with fixed IPs, while IPs in the range x.x.x.128 to x.x.x.254 are for
dynamic IP.

I use Bind9 and isc dhcp.

For security reason, I divided my domain into cs.ait.ac.th for the
machines with fixed address and desktops.cs.ait.ac.th for the desktop
machines with dynamic IP.

It works well with Bind and DHCP knows how to update the zone
desktops.cd.ait.ac.th.

In a similar way, I divided the zope x.x.x.in-addr.arpa using the
CNAME trick, so DNS is working and I can dig -x 128.x.x.x and I get
the proper answer

128.128-254.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa. 43200 IN PTR toto.cs.ait.ac.th.

But the problem arise when I want DHCP to update the reverse DNS
reccord. DHCP will always try to update x.x.x.in-addr.arpa, not
128-254.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa (it figures out the reverse zone by itself
and a "zone 128-254.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa won't change anything).

I want to be able to split x.x.x.in-addr.arpa into two zones because:

- replication of DNS of the fixed part only
- several people who can update DNS and who know nothing about dynamic update
- security for the fixed part that is not updatable

Any help is welcome.

bestregards,

Olivier