BIND 8.2.3 T4B (RC2) is available for public testing
Paul A Vixie
vixie at mibh.net
Mon Apr 24 07:22:58 UTC 2000
This is a release candidate. (It is running on F.ROOT-SERVERS.ORG.)
Highlights vs. BIND 8.2.3-T3B:
fixed wierd IXFR-related bug
Highlights vs. BIND 8.2.3-T2B:
forwarders are now used in order by measured RTT
TSIG AXFR was completely broken in DiG
"ndc reconfig -noexpired"
Highlights vs. BIND 8.2.2-P5:
zones signed by the BIND 9 signer failed to load.
another almost-complete rewrite of IXFR.
acl "none" now fails to match but doesn't end search.
res_nsend() almost completely readable now.
various small win/nt improvements.
the distribution files are:
the pgp signature files are:
top of CHANGES says:
--- 8.2.3-T4B (RC2) released ---
1000. [bug] #996 was wrongly implemented; replacement fix.
--- 8.2.3-T3B released ---
999. [support] named now makes an effort to create its files with
ownership as specified by -u and -g command options.
998. [support] show version number in NOTIFY log messages.
997. [support] forwarders are now used in order by measured RTT.
996. [protocol] if answering ixfr with full zone, used qtype axfr.
995. [bug] "dig -b" was broken due to missing switch "break;"
994. [bug] named-xfer did not handle empty question sections.
993. [bug] TSIG AXFR was completely broken in DiG.
992. [bug] OPTION_USE_IXFR and OPTION_MAINTAIN_IXFR_BASE had
non-single-bit flag values in src/bin/named/ns_defs.h.
991. [protocol] send A6 glue records in xfr.
990. [bug] we could loose track of a bottom of zone cut is the
write buffer filled up at just the correct moment.
989. [bug] apply to "fetch-glue no;" to notify processing. need
to add A records that would be found this way w/
988. [support] report expired zones when detected in maintainence
987. [feature] "ndc reconfig -noexpired" skip attempts to load
expired zoned when reconfiguring.
986. [bug] pushlev only needs to be called for axfr/zxfr not ixfr.
--- 8.2.3-T2B released ---
985. [support] remove "view" command from nslookup (it used mktemp()).
984. [bug] always restart processing query from scratch if we
have chased a CNAME as we might still have the answer
in the cache once the CNAME has been resolved.
983. [support] "notify from non-master server" is now debug, not info.
982. [bug] rollback the compression pointers array when a
RRset/RR does not fit.
981. [port] decunix: typedef (u_)int#m_t
980. [bug] mishandled memget failure w/ TCP connections.
979. [bug] we were failing to call ns_stopxfrs() before calling
purge_zone() in some cases.
978. [port] sco50: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) fails on unix domain
977. [bug] we should be returning notimpl for update forwarding
rather than refused. a client receiving refused
should terminate the update attempt. notimpl should
just cause the client to skip to the next server.
976. [bug] some stats weren't getting incremented, & added a few.
975. [support] SLAVE_FORWARD is now redundant and has been removed.
974. [port] ultrix with vendor's y2k patch explicitly desupported.
973. [bug] some field names added in #935 conflicted with macros.
972. [support] restore heartbeat notifies.
971. [bug] out of order updates in log.
970. [port] solaris: add ipv6 interface scanning support.
969. [bug] post process a zone load to remove any non-glue at
or below bottom of zone.
968. [bug] TSIGs failed to verify if the key name was compressed.
967. [bug] zones signed by the BIND 9 signer failed to load.
--- 8.2.3-T1A released ---
966. [bug] nslookup and dig misprinted root zone in $ORIGIN.
965. [feature] dig's command line input buffer was rather small.
964. [bug] make res_nsearch() behave like res_search() of olde.
963. [bug] res_debug::do_section() can no longer spin all VM.
962. [bug] another almost-complete rewrite of IXFR from kjd (462)
961. [bug] acl "none" now fails to match but doesn't end search.
960. [bug] more hesiod library fixes from danny.
959. [doc] christos fixed several man page typos and brainos.
958. [bug] getnameinfo() should accept experimental/multicast.
957. [port] ultrix again. "cd" now presumed to be silent again.
956. [bug] multiline was not being cleared correctly.
955. [bug] explicit TTL on SOA records were being replaced with
954. [bug] cannot load a signed root zone.
953. [bug] memory overrun in set_zone_ixfr_file().
952. [bug] errs was not being correctly adjusted if the included
master file did not exist in db_load().
951. [bug] contrib/dns_signer/signer: write_trim_name
array bounds write error.
950. [bug] hesiod: ctx->res was not being initalised.
949. [port] aix32: add prand_conf.h and define WCOREDUMP
948. [bug] fixed logic error in a number of expressions causing
res_ninit() not to be called when it should be.
947. [bug] sanity check in dst_read_key() wasn't.
946. [port] freebsd: threaded library support.
945. [bug] wrong file name logged in ixfr_have_log().
944. [doc] add forwarders to zone types master/slave/stub in
named.conf man page.
943. [bug] raise CNAME and OTHER / multiple CNAME logging to
942. [bug] bad referrals logged for forwarders.
941. [bug] lame server detection wasn't checking for SOA record.
940. [clarity] unapproved -> denied in log messages.
939. [bug] reload_master and purgeandload should write the zone
if it has been updated.
938. [bug] update and ixfr logs could get corrupted. fseek()
before ftell() on fopen(, "a+") file.
937. [support] allow parallel makes to work.
936. [protocol] add preliminary A6 glue recognition in ns_req.
935. [cleanup] res_nsend() segmented into multiple functions for
readability. also fixed two file descriptor leaks.
CAN_RECONNECT is gone, keep one socket per nameserver.
934. [bug] Perror and Aerror where incorrect if DEBUG is not
933. [port] cygwin port added
932. [port] sco42 does not have unix domain sockets or gethostid.
931. [bug] eventlib was not handling unix domain sockets
930. [bug] we wern't using all the potential compression pointers
in the question section.
929. [bug] we were accepting updates (adds) with illegal ttls.
928. [bug] if we manage to get a illegal ttl stored, print it
927. [port] hpux: (11.* 10.30) Makefile.set.gcc
926. [port] hpux10: gcc needs -D_HPUX_SOURCE and -fPIC
925. [protocol] when a slave loads it should notify others (RFC 1996).
924. [port] sunos solaris: #define NEED_SECURE_DIRECTORY to
secure the directory containing unix domain socket
rather than the socket itself.
923. [support] shutup "make clean" about missing threaded directories.
922. [bug] removing an cached zone file then performing a
"ndc reload zone" should force a zone transfer.
921. [bug] nsupdate: listuprec was not being initalised.
920. [port] aix4: Makefile.set.gcc
aix4: __P was being defined by <net/radix.h>
919 [port] linux: remove one level of symbolic linkage when
performing make links on port/linux/include
918. [bug] update prerequisite could match w/ wildcard.
917. [port] irix: make the current IRIX release (6.5) work by
not patching res_debug.c. see INSTALL if you have
problems with 6.3.
916. [bug] removing / changing a zone type could result in
Z_NOTIFY being cleared / tested against the wrong zone.
915. [bug] evNewWaitList() was not maintaining the prev chain.
914. [bug] signal EWOULDBLOCK if EV_POLL'ing with no timers.
913. [bug] input could get lost on the server side of a ctl sock.
912. [bug] nsupdate now allows explicit 0 TTL's on added RR's.
911. [bug] gethostbyname() should not return duplicate addresses.
910. [bug] address-sorting logic was exiting early.
909. [bug] dig wasn't respecting the +ti and +ret arguments.
908. [contrib] Tony Stoneley sent us an updated misc/makezones.
907. [port] winnt fixes from Larry at Nortel.
906. [bug] res_findzonecut() failed if the NS referred to a CNAME.
905. [doc] Minor fix to doc/man/Makefile for getnameinfo
904. [bug] bin/host wasn't looking up MX records if no
-t flags were passed to it.
--- 8.2.2-P6 released ---
903. [bug] divide by zero bug when querying for SIG records from
a secure zone.
902. [support] don't attempt to set q_fzone if we won't be using it.
901. [support] delay notify timer setting until all zones have been
900. [port] hpux10 fix call to bison; sco call bison consistenly.
899. [bug] dynamically allocate buffer used to display RR rather
than uses a fixed sized one. grow as needed.
898. [bug] if truncation caused no RR's to appear in the answer we
mis-classified the answer on a NODATA.
897. [support] descriptors used by named should not be inherited by
896. [contrib] add contrib/adm/adm-nxt, an exploit for the NXT bug
in 8.2 and 8.2.1. as before, we do not recommend its
use, and we do recommend that you run the latest BIND.
--- 8.2.2-P5 released ---
More information about the bind-announce