Announcing the release of BIND 9.1.0b2
Andreas.Gustafsson at nominum.com
Fri Dec 29 20:16:13 UTC 2000
BIND 9.1.0b2 has been released. It fixes a number of bugs in 9.1.0b1
and adds some new features such as a multithreaded DNSSEC signer and
support for "rndc dumpdb" command.
BIND 9.1.0b2 can be downloaded from:
The PGP signature of the distribution is at
The signature was generated with the ISC public key, which is available
A list of changes made since 9.1.0b1 follows. For earlier changes,
see the file CHANGES in the distribution.
641. [bug] $GENERATE caused a uninitialized link to be used.
640. [bug] Memory leak in error path could cause
"mpctx->allocated == 0" failure. [RT #584]
639. [bug] Reading entropy from the keyboard would sometimes fail.
638. [port] lib/isc/random.c needed to explicitly include
time.h explicitly to get a prototype for time() when
pthreads was not being used. [RT #592]
637. [port] Use isc_u?int64_t instead of (unsigned) long long in
lib/isc/print.c. Also allow lib/isc/print.c to
be compiled even if the platform does not need it.
636. [port] Shut up MSVC++ about a possible loss of precision
in the ISC__BUFFER_PUTUINT*() macros. [RT #592]
635. [bug] Reloading a server with a configured blackhole list
would cause an assertion. [RT #590]
634. [bug] A log file will completely stop being written when
it reaches the maximum size in all cases, not just
when versioning is also enabled. [RT #570]
633. [port] Cope with rlim_t missing on BSD/OS systems. [RT #575]
632. [bug] The index array of the journal file was
corrupted as it was written to disk.
631. [port] Build without thread support on systems without
630. [bug] Locking failure in zone code. [RT #582]
629. [bug] 9.1.0b1 dereferenced a null pointer and crashed
when responding to a UDP IXFR request.
628. [bug] If the root hints contained only AAAA addresses,
named would be unable to perform resolution.
627. [bug] The EDNS0 blackhole detection code of changed 324
waited for three retransmissions to each server,
which takes much too long when a domain has many
name servers and all of them drop EDNS0 queries.
Now we retry without EDNS0 after three consecutive
timeouts, even if they are all from different
servers. [RT #143]
626. [bug] The lightweight resolver daemon no longer crashes
when asked for a SIG rrset. [RT #558]
625. [func] Zones now inherit their class from the enclosing view.
624. [bug] The zone object could get timer events after it had
been destroyed, causing a server crash. [RT #571]
623. [func] Added "named-checkconf" and "named-checkzone" program
for syntax checking named.conf files and zone files,
622. [bug] A canceled request could be destroyed before
dns_request_destroy() was called. [RT #562]
621. [port] Disable IPv6 at runtime if IPv6 sockets are unusable.
This mostly affects Red Hat Linux 7.0, which has
conflicts between libc and the kernel.
620. [bug] dns_master_load*inc() now require 'task' and 'load'
to be non-null. Also 'done' will not be called if
dns_master_load*inc() fails immediately. [RT #565]
618. [bug] Queries to a signed zone could sometimes cause
an assertion failure.
617. [bug] When using dynamic update to add a new RR to an
existing RRset with a different TTL, the journal
entries generated from the update did not include
explicit deletions and re-additions of the existing
RRs to update their TTL to the new value.
616. [func] dnssec-signzone -t output now includes performance
615. [bug] dnssec-signzone did not like child keysets signed
by multiple keys.
614. [bug] Checks for uninitialized link fields were prone
to false positives, causing assertion failures.
The checks are now disabled by default and may
be re-enabled by defining ISC_LIST_CHECKINIT.
613. [bug] "rndc reload zone" now reloads primary zones.
It previously only updated slave and stub zones,
if an SOA query indicated an out of date serial.
612. [cleanup] Shutup a ridiculously noisy HP-UX compiler that
complains relentlessly about how its treatment
of 'const' has changed as well as how casting
sometimes tightens alignment constraints.
611. [func] allow-notify can be used to permit processing of
notify messages from hosts other than a slave's
610. [func] rndc dumpdb is now supported.
609. [bug] getrrsetbyname() would crash lwresd if the server
found more SIGs than answers. [RT #554]
608. [func] dnssec-signzone now adds a comment to the zone
with the time the file was signed.
607. [bug] nsupdate would fail if it encountered a CNAME or
DNAME in a response to an SOA query. [RT #515]
606. [bug] Compiling with --disable-threads failed due
to isc_thread_self() being incorrectly defined
as an integer rather than a function.
605. [func] New function isc_lex_getlasttokentext().
604. [bug] The named.conf parser could print incorrect line
numbers when long comments were present.
603. [bug] Make dig handle multiple types or classes on the same
query more correctly.
602. [func] Cope automatically with UnixWare's broken
IN6_IS_ADDR_* macros. [RT #539]
601. [func] Return a non-zero exit code if an update fails
600. [bug] Reverse lookups sometimes failed in dig, etc...
599. [func] Added four new functions to the libisc log API to
support i18n messages. isc_log_iwrite(),
isc_log_ivwrite(), isc_log_iwrite1() and
isc_log_ivwrite1() were added.
598. [bug] An update-policy statement would cause the server
to assert while loading. [RT #536]
597. [func] dnssec-signzone is now multithreaded.
596. [bug] DNS_RDATASLAB_FORCE and DNS_RDATASLAB_EXACT are
not mutually exclusive.
595. [port] On Linux 2.2, socket() returns EINVAL when it
should return EAFNOSUPPORT. Work around this.
594. [func] sdb drivers are now assumed to not be thread-safe
unless the DNS_SDBFLAG_THREADSAFE flag is supplied.
593. [bug] If a secure zone was missing all its NXTs and
a dynamic update was attempted, the server entered
an infinite loop.
592. [bug] The sig-validity-interval option now specifies a
number of days, not seconds. This matches the
documentation. [RT #529]
More information about the bind-announce