Announcing the release of BIND 9.2.0rc6
Andreas_Gustafsson at isc.org
Tue Oct 9 04:46:42 UTC 2001
BIND 9.2.0rc6 is now available. This is release candidate for
BIND 9.2.0, which contains a number of new features over BIND 9.1.
Several bugs in 9.2.0rc5 have been fixed.
BIND 9.2.0rc6 can be downloaded from
The PGP signature of the distribution is at
The signature was generated with the ISC public key, which is
available at <http://www.isc.org/ISC/isckey.txt>.
A binary kit for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 is at
A list of changes made since 9.2.0a1 follows. For earlier changes,
see the file CHANGES in the distribution.
--- 9.2.0rc6 released ---
1031. [bug] libbind.a: isc__gettimeofday() infinite recursion.
1030. [bug] On systems with no resolv.conf file, nsupdate
exited with an error rather than defaulting
to using the loopback address. [RT #1836]
1029. [bug] Some named.conf errors did not cause the loading
of the configuration file to return a failure
status even though they were logged. [RT #1847]
1028. [bug] On Win32, dig/host/nslookup looked for resolv.conf
in the wrong directory. [RT #1833]
1027. [bug] RRs having the reserved type 0 should be rejected.
1026. [port] Recognize OpenUNIX 8 in config.guess. [RT #1830]
1022. [bug] Don't report empty root hints as "extra data".
--- 9.2.0rc5 released ---
1021. [bug] On Win32, log message timestamps were one month
later than they should have been, and the server
would exhibit unspecified behavior in December.
1020. [bug] IXFR log messages did not distinguish between
true IXFRs, AXFR-style IXFRs, and mere version
polls. [RT #1811]
1019. [bug] The value of the lame-ttl option was limited to 18000
seconds, not 1800 seconds as documented. [RT #1803]
1018. [bug] The default log channel was not always initialized
correctly. [RT #1813]
1017. [bug] When specifying TSIG keys to dig and nsupdate using
the -k option, they must be HMAC-MD5 keys. [RT #1810]
1016. [bug] Slave zones with no backup file were re-transferred
on every server reload.
1015. [bug] Log channels that had a "versions" option but no
"size" option failed to create numbered log
files. [RT #1783]
--- 9.2.0rc4 released ---
1013. [bug] It was possible to cancel a query twice when marking
a server as bogus or by having a blackhole acl.
1010. [bug] The server could attempt to execute a command channel
command after initiating server shutdown, causing
an assertion failure. [RT #1766]
1006. [bug] If a KEY RR was found missing during DNSSEC validation,
an assertion failure could subsequently be triggered
in the resolver. [RT #1763]
1005. [bug] Don't copy nonzero RCODEs from request to response.
1004. [port] Deal with recvfrom() returning EHOSTDOWN. [RT #1770]
1002. [bug] When reporting an unknown class name in named.conf,
including the file name and line number. [RT #1759]
1001. [bug] win32 socket code doio_recv was not catching a
WSACONNRESET error when a client was timing out
the request and closing its socket. [RT #1745]
1000. [bug] BIND 8 compatibility: accept "HESIOD" as an alias
for class "HS". [RT #1759]
--- 9.2.0rc3 released ---
990. [bug] The rndc-confgen man page was not installed.
989. [bug] Report filename if $INCLUDE fails for file related
errors. [RT #1736]
987. [bug] "dig -help" didn't show "+[no]stats".
986. [bug] "dig +noall" failed to clear stats and command
984. [bug] Multithreading should be enabled by default on
Solaris 2.7 and newer, but it wasn't.
--- 9.2.0rc2 released ---
980. [bug] Incoming zone transfers restarting after an error
could trigger an assertion failure. [RT #1692]
978. [bug] dns_db_attachversion() had an invalid REQUIRE()
977. [bug] Improve "not at top of zone" error message.
975. [bug] "max-cache-size default;" as a view option
caused an assertion failure.
974. [bug] "max-cache-size unlimited;" as a global option
was not accepted.
973. [bug] Failed to log the question name when logging:
"bad zone transfer request: non-authoritative zone
972. [bug] The file modification time code in zone.c was using the
wrong epoch. [RT #1667]
968. [bug] On win32, the isc_time_now() function was unnecessarily
calling strtime(). [RT #1671]
967. [bug] On win32, the link for bindevt was not including the
required resource file to enable the event viewer
to interpret the error messages in the event log,
965. [bug] Including data other than root server NS and A
records in the root hint file could cause a rbtdb
node reference leak. [RT #1581, #1618]
964. [func] Warn if data other than root server NS and A records
are found in the root hint file. [RT #1581, #1618]
963. [bug] Bad ISC_LANG_ENDDECLS. [RT #1645]
962. [bug] libbind: bad "#undef", don't attempt to install
non-existant nlist.h. [RT #1640]
961. [bug] Tried to use a IPV6 feature when ISC_PLATFORM_HAVEIPV6
was not defined. [RT #1482]
960. [port] liblwres failed to build on systems with support for
getrrsetbyname() in the OS. [RT #1592]
959. [port] On FreeBSD, determine the number of CPUs by calling
sysctlbyname(). [RT #1584]
958. [port] ssize_t is not available on all platforms. [RT #1607]
957. [bug] sys/select.h inclusion was broken on older platforms.
956. [bug] ns_g_autorndcfile changed to ns_g_keyfile
in named/win32/os.c due to code changes in
change #953. win32 .make file for rndc-confgen
updated to add include path for os.h header.
--- 9.2.0rc1 released ---
955. [bug] When using views, the zone's class was not being
inherited from the view's class. [RT #1583]
954. [bug] When requesting AXFRs or IXFRs using dig, host, or
nslookup, the RD bit should not be set as zone
transfers are inherently nonrecursive. [RT #1575]
953. [func] The /var/run/named.key file from change #843
has been replaced by /etc/rndc.key. Both
named and rndc will look for this file and use
it to configure a default control channel key
if not already configured using a different
method (rndc.conf / controls). Unlike
named.key, rndc.key is not created automatically;
it must be created by manually running
952. [bug] The server required manual intervention to serve the
affected zones if it died between creating a journal
and committing the first change to it.
951. [bug] CFLAGS was not passed to the linker when
linking some of the test programs under
bin/tests. [RT #1555].
950. [bug] Explicit TTLs did not properly override $TTL
due to a bug in change 834. [RT #1558]
949. [bug] host was unable to print records larger than 512
bytes. [RT #1557]
--- 9.2.0b2 released ---
948. [port] Integrated support for building on Windows NT /
947. [bug] dns_rdata_soa_t had a badly named element "mname" which
was really the RNAME field from RFC1035. To avoid
confusion and silent errors that would occur it the
"origin" and "mname" elements were given their correct
names "mname" and "rname" respectively, the "mname"
element is renamed to "contact".
946. [cleanup] doc/misc/options is now machine-generated from the
configuration parser syntax tables, and therefore
more likely to be correct.
945. [func] Add the new view-specific options
"match-destinations" and "match-recursive-only".
944. [func] Check for expired signatures on load.
943. [bug] The server could crash when receiving a command
via rndc if the configuration file listed only
nonexistent keys in the controls statement. [RT #1530]
942. [port] libbind: GETNETBYADDR_ADDR_T was not correctly
defined on some platforms.
941. [bug] The configuration checker crashed if a slave
zone didn't contain a masters statement. [RT #1514]
940. [bug] Double zone locking failure on error path. [RT #1510]
--- 9.2.0b1 released ---
939. [port] Add the --disable-linux-caps option to configure for
systems that manage capabilities outside of named.
937. [bug] A race when shutting down a zone could trigger a
INSIST() failure. [RT #1034]
936. [func] Warn about IPv4 addresses that are not complete
dotted quads. [RT #1084]
935. [bug] inet_pton failed to reject leading zeros.
934. [port] Deal with systems where accept() spuriously returns
933. [bug] configure failed doing libbind on platforms not
supported by BIND 8. [RT #1496]
--- 9.2.0a3 released ---
932. [bug] Use INSTALL_SCRIPT, not INSTALL_PROGRAM,
when installing isc-config.sh.
[RT #198, #1466]
931. [bug] The controls statement only attempted to verify
messages using the first key in the key list.
930. [func] Query performance testing tool added as
928. [bug] nsupdate would send empty update packets if the
send (or empty line) command was run after
another send but before any new updates or
prerequisites were specified. It should simply
ignore this command.
927. [bug] Don't hold the zone lock for the entire dump to disk.
926. [bug] The resolver could deadlock with the ADB when
shutting down (multithreaded builds only).
925. [cleanup] Remove openssl from the distribution; require that
--with-openssl be specified if DNSSEC is needed.
924. [port] Extend support for pre-RFC2133 IPv6 implementation.
923. [bug] Multiline TSIG secrets (and other multiline strings)
were not accepted in named.conf. [RT #1469]
922. [func] Added two new lwres_getrrsetbyname() result codes,
ERR_NONAME and ERR_NODATA.
921. [bug] lwres returned an incorrect error code if it received
a truncated message.
920. [func] Increase the lwres receive buffer size to 16K.
918. [func] In nsupdate, TSIG errors are no longer treated as
917. [func] New nsupdate command 'key', allowing TSIG keys to
be specified in the nsupdate command stream rather
than the command line.
916. [bug] Specifying type ixfr to dig without specifying
a serial number failed in unexpected ways.
915. [func] The named-checkconf and named-checkzone programs
now have a '-v' option for printing their version.
914. [bug] Global 'server' statements were rejected when
using views, even though they were accepted
in 9.1. [RT #1368]
913. [bug] Cache cleaning was not sufficiently aggressive.
[RT #1441, #1444]
912. [bug] Attempts to set the 'additional-from-cache' or
'additional-from-auth' option to 'no' in a
server with recursion enabled will now
be ignored and cause a warning message.
910. [port] Some pre-RFC2133 IPv6 implementations do not define
IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT. [RT #1416]
908. [func] New program, rndc-confgen, to simplify setting up rndc.
907. [func] The ability to get entropy from either the
random device, a user-provided file or from
the keyboard was migrated from the DNSSEC tools
to libisc as isc_entropy_usebestsource().
906. [port] Separated the system independent portion of
lib/isc/unix/entropy.c into lib/isc/entropy.c
and added lib/isc/win32/entropy.c.
905. [bug] Configuring a forward "zone" for the root domain
did not work. [RT #1418]
904. [bug] The server would leak memory if attempting to use
an expired TSIG key. [RT #1406]
903. [bug] dig should not crash when receiving a TCP packet
of length 0.
902. [bug] The -d option was ignored if both -t and -g were also
900. [bug] A config.guess update changed the system identification
string of FreeBSD systems; configure and
bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh now recognize the new
--- 9.2.0a2 released ---
899. [bug] lib/dns/soa.c failed to compile on many platforms
due to inappropriate use of a void value.
[RT #1372, #1373, #1386, #1387, #1395]
898. [bug] "dig" failed to set a nonzero exit status
on UDP query timeout. [RT #1323]
897. [bug] A config.guess update changed the system identification
string of UnixWare systems; configure now recognizes
the new string.
896. [bug] If a configuration file is set on named's command line
and it has a relative pathname, the current directory
(after any possible jailing resulting from named -t)
will be prepended to it so that reloading works
properly even when a directory option is present.
895. [func] New function, isc_dir_current(), akin to POSIX's
894. [bug] When using the DNSSEC tools, a message intended to warn
when the keyboard was being used because of the lack
of a suitable random device was not being printed.
893. [func] Removed isc_file_test() and added isc_file_exists()
for the basic functionality that was being added
891. [bug] Return an error when a SIG(0) signed response to
an unsigned query is seen. This should actually
do the verification, but it's not currently
possible. [RT #1391]
890. [cleanup] The man pages no longer require the mandoc macros
and should now format cleanly using most versions of
nroff, and HTML versions of the man pages have been
added. Both are generated from DocBook source.
889. [port] Eliminated blank lines before .TH in nroff man
pages since they cause problems with some versions
of nroff. [RT #1390]
888. [bug] Don't die when using TKEY to delete a nonexistent
TSIG key. [RT #1392]
887. [port] Detect broken compilers that can't call static
functions from inline functions. [RT #1212]
866. [func] Close debug only file channels when debug is set to
zero. [RT #1246]
865. [bug] The new configuration parser did not allow
the optional debug level in a "severity debug"
clause of a logging channel to be omitted.
This is now allowed and treated as "severity
debug 1;" like it does in BIND 8.2.4, not as
"severity debug 0;" like it did in BIND 9.1.
864. [cleanup] Multithreading is now enabled by default on
OSF1, Solaris 2.7 and newer, AIX, IRIX, and HP-UX.
863. [bug] If an error occurred while an outgoing zone transfer
was starting up, the server could access a domain
name that had already been freed when logging a
message saying that the transfer was starting.
862. [bug] Use after realloc(), non portable pointer arithmetic in
861. [port] Add support for Mac OS X, by making it equivalent
to Darwin. This was derived from the config.guess
file shipped with Mac OS X. [RT #1355]
860. [func] Drop cross class glue in zone transfers.
859. [bug] Cache cleaning now won't swamp the CPU if there
is a persistent overlimit condition.
858. [func] isc_mem_setwater() no longer requires that when the
callback function is non-NULL then its hi_water
argument must be greater than its lo_water argument
(they can now be equal) or that they be non-zero.
857. [cleanup] Use ISC_MAGIC() to define all magic numbers for
structs, for our friends in EBCDIC-land.
856. [func] Allow partial rdatasets to be returned in answer and
authority sections to help non-TCP capable clients
recover from truncation. [RT #1301]
855. [bug] Stop spurious "using RFC 1035 TTL semantics" warnings.
854. [bug] The config parser didn't properly handle config
options that were specified in units of time other
than seconds. [RT #1372]
853. [bug] configure_view_acl() failed to detach existing acls.
852. [bug] Handle responses from servers which do not know
851. [cleanup] The obsolete support-ixfr option was not properly
--- 9.2.0a1 released ---
More information about the bind-announce