CVE-2014-3859: named can crash due to a defect in EDNS printing processing

Michael McNally mcnally at isc.org
Wed Jun 11 21:58:19 UTC 2014

A specially crafted query sent to a BIND nameserver can cause it
to crash with a REQUIRE assertion error.

CVE:                       CVE-2014-3859
Document Version:          2.0
Posting date:              11 June 2014
Program Impacted:          BIND
Versions affected:         9.10.0, 9.10.0-P1
Severity:                  Critical
Exploitable:               Remotely

   A query specially crafted to exploit a defect in EDNS option
   processing can cause named to terminate with an assertion failure.

Impact:

   Both authoritative and recursive servers are vulnerable to this
   defect.  Exploitation of this condition can cause a denial of
   service in nameservers running affected versions of BIND 9.10.
   Access Control Lists do not provide protection.

   The bug which causes this condition is in libdns; consequently
   in addition to the named server process other applications (for
   example: dig and delv) built using the libdns library from the
   affected source distributions can also be forced to crash with
   assertion failures triggered in the same fashion.

CVSS Score:  7.8

CVSS Equation:  (AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:N/I:N/A:C)

For more information on the Common Vulnerability Scoring System and
to obtain your specific environmental score please visit:
http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?calculator&adv&version=2&vector=(AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:N/I:N/A:C)

Workarounds:

   No known workarounds at this time.

Active exploits:

   There are no known active exploits.

Solution:

   Upgrade to the patched release most closely related to your
   current version of BIND.  Open source versions can all be
   downloaded from http://www.isc.org/downloads.

   BIND 9 version 9.10.0-P2

Acknowledgements:

   ISC would like to thank Codenomicon for detecting this issue.

Document Revision History:

   1.0 Phase One, Advance Notification, 04 June 2014
   2.0 Phase Four, Public Disclosure, 11 June 2014

Related Documents:

   See our BIND Security Matrix for a complete listing of Security
   Vulnerabilities and versions affected.
   https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00913/0

If you'd like more information on our product support or about our
Subscription versions of BIND, please visit
http://www.dns-co.com/solutions/.

Do you still have questions?  Questions regarding this advisory
should go to security-officer at isc.org.  To report a new issue,
please encrypt your message using security-officer at isc.org's PGP
key which can be found here:

   https://www.isc.org/downloads/software-support-policy/openpgp-key/.

If you are unable to use encrypted email, you may also report new
issues at:

   https://www.isc.org/mission/contact/.

Note: ISC patches only currently supported versions although when
possible we indicate EOL versions affected.  The latest versions
of ISC software can always be found on our web site at
http://www.isc.org/downloads/. There you will find additional
information about each release.

ISC Security Vulnerability Disclosure Policy:

   Details of our current security advisory policy and practice can
   be found here: ISC Software Defect and Security Vulnerability
   Disclosure Policy -- https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00861

This Knowledge Base article https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01166 is
the complete and official security advisory document.

Legal Disclaimer:

   Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) is providing this notice on an
   "AS IS" basis. No warranty or guarantee of any kind is expressed
   in this notice and none should be implied. ISC expressly excludes
   and disclaims any warranties regarding this notice or materials
   referred to in this notice, including, without limitation, any
   implied warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular
   purpose, absence of hidden defects, or of non-infringement. Your
   use or reliance on this notice or materials referred to in this
   notice is at your own risk. ISC may change this notice at any time.
   A stand-alone copy or paraphrase of the text of this document that
   omits the document URL is an uncontrolled copy. Uncontrolled copies
   may lack important information, be out of date, or contain factual
   errors.

(c) 2001-2014 Internet Systems Consortium