BIND 9.9.8b1 is now available.
mcnally at isc.org
Thu Aug 6 22:19:29 UTC 2015
Release Notes for BIND Version 9.9.8b1
This document summarizes changes since the last production release of
BIND on the corresponding major release branch.
The latest versions of BIND 9 software can always be found at
http://www.isc.org/downloads/. There you will find additional
information about each release, source code, and pre-compiled versions
for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
* A specially crafted query could trigger an assertion failure in
This flaw was discovered by Jonathan Foote, and is disclosed in
CVE-2015-5477. [RT #39795]
* On servers configured to perform DNSSEC validation, an assertion
failure could be triggered on answers from a specially configured
This flaw was discovered by Breno Silveira Soares, and is disclosed
in CVE-2015-4620. [RT #39795]
* New quotas have been added to limit the queries that are sent by
recursive resolvers to authoritative servers experiencing
denial-of-service attacks. When configured, these options can both
reduce the harm done to authoritative servers and also avoid the
resource exhaustion that can be experienced by recursives when they
are being used as a vehicle for such an attack.
NOTE: These options are not available by default; use configure
--enable-fetchlimit to include them in the build.
+ fetches-per-server limits the number of simultaneous queries
that can be sent to any single authoritative server. The
configured value is a starting point; it is automatically
adjusted downward if the server is partially or completely
non-responsive. The algorithm used to adjust the quota can be
configured via the fetch-quota-params option.
+ fetches-per-zone limits the number of simultaneous queries
that can be sent for names within a single domain. (Note:
Unlike "fetches-per-server", this value is not self-tuning.)
Statistics counters have also been added to track the number of
queries affected by these quotas.
* An --enable-querytrace configure switch is now available to enable
very verbose query tracelogging. This option can only be set at
compile time. This option has a negative performance impact and
should be used only for debugging.
* EDNS COOKIE options content is now displayed as "COOKIE:
* Large inline-signing changes should be less disruptive. Signature
generation is now done incrementally; the number of signatures to
be generated in each quantum is controlled by
"sig-signing-signatures number;". [RT #37927]
* Retrieving the local port range from net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range
on Linux is now supported.
* Asynchronous zone loads were not handled correctly when the zone
load was already in progress; this could trigger a crash in zt.c.
* A race during shutdown or reconfiguration could cause an assertion
failure in mem.c. [RT #38979]
* Some answer formatting options didn't work correctly with dig
+short. [RT #39291]
End of Life
The BIND 9.9 (Extended Support Version) will be supported until June,
Thank you to everyone who assisted us in making this release possible.
If you would like to contribute to ISC to assist us in continuing to
make quality open source software, please visit our donations page at
More information about the bind-announce