New BIND releases are available: 9.16.37, 9.18.11, 9.19.9

Greg Choules greg at isc.org
Wed Jan 25 15:31:51 UTC 2023

Our January 2023 maintenance releases of BIND 9 are available and can be downloaded from the ISC software download page, https://www.isc.org/download.

In addition to bug fixes and feature improvements, these releases also contain fixes for the following security vulnerabilities:
- CVE-2022-3094
- CVE-2022-3488 (Applicable to BIND Supported Preview Edition only)
- CVE-2022-3736
- CVE-2022-3924

about which more information is provided in the following Security Advisories:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/cve-2022-3094
https://kb.isc.org/docs/cve-2022-3488
https://kb.isc.org/docs/cve-2022-3736
https://kb.isc.org/docs/cve-2022-3924

A summary of significant changes in the new releases can be found in their release notes:

- Current supported stable branches:

    9.16.37 - https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.37/doc/arm/html/notes.html
    9.18.11 - https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.18.11/doc/arm/html/notes.html

- Experimental development branch:

    9.19.9  - https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.19.9/doc/arm/html/notes.html

---

We recommend to users contemplating moving from the EOL BIND 9.11 branch to the BIND 9.16 branch that they read the following document:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-911-to-916

---

With the January release of BIND 9.18.11, we are now designating the BIND 9.18 branch an Extended Support Version (ESV). Users of ISC-packaged BIND please note that we are not yet changing the version of BIND provided in our Cloudsmith and COPR repositories; these will remain the same until BIND 9.20 is published, at which point we will announce the rollover of the repository contents.

We have also published a new document covering differences to be aware of when migrating from the BIND 9.16 branch to the BIND 9.18 branch:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-bind-916-to-918

Users migrating from EOL BIND 9.11 branch directly to BIND 9.18 (bypassing BIND 9.16) should look at both the "changes to be aware of" documents linked above.

Greg Choules
ISC Support