No root nameservers for class in

Eva Felipe Eva.Felipe at uab.ericsson.se
Wed Aug 4 10:32:21 UTC 1999

Hello again,

Lars Petterson wrote:
> In article <37A8013B.1390BEDA at uab.ericsson.se> you write:
> >zone "." {
> >     type master;
> >     file "root.hints";
> >     };
>
> Din't know if it makes any difference, but I use:
>
> zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "named.ca";
> };
>
> I.e. type hint instaed of master...

I have tried that as well. If I change back to 'hint' I don't get the
'No root nameservers for class IN' error. Instead I'm back to:

sysquery: query() contains our address
          (gateway1.iponax.datacom-lab.uab.ericsson.se:10.20.0.13)
sysquery: query() No possible A RRs

... which was my original problem.

When I previously asked about the 'contains our address' error Barry
Margolin suggested that I hadn't configured my machine as authoritative
for the root domain.

His mail:

   The name in parentheses is what it was looking up when it found
   a referral to itself.  The empty name is the root domain.  My
   guess is that your hint file lists itself as the only root server,
   instead of listing the real root servers (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
   B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, etc.), but you haven't configured your machine
   as authoritative for the root domain.

I can only say that his guess was right.

Any suggestions?

/Eva