No root nameservers for class in

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Wed Aug 4 11:49:40 UTC 1999

    Eva> I have recently installed bind-8.2.1 but can't get it to work.

    Eva> The log message is 'No root nameservers for class IN' and
    Eva> 'SERVFAIL' is returned. The SERVFAIL means I am authoritative
    Eva> but a zone is not loaded (according to the source code).

This is a bug in 8.2.1. It reports this error message when the name
server is authoritative for the root zone even though: (a) there's
nothing wrong with the root zone file; (b) the name server knows about
the root name servers. The error message is generated in error. I
found this bug in one of the 8.2.1 betas and reported it to the ISC
just before 8.2.1 was released.

    Eva> The problem must be in my configuration files but I don't
    Eva> know where. I have tried my old configuration files (from
    Eva> bind-8.1.2) without luck.

The problem's with the 8.2.1 code, not your zone and config files. I'd
ignore the message for now and hope/pray that this is fixed in 8.2.2.
OTOH, ignoring what would otherwise be an important error message like
"can't find the root name servers" sets a dangerous precedent: what if
some other name server generates this message for real?