Disable Bind's response to version queries and zone xfer requests

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Aug 4 15:15:41 UTC 1999

In article <FCFEEAA0D131D311BDD000805FA70AEC49633C at cljfsdw1.GrandForks.af.mil>,
Villella, James <James.Villella at grandforks.af.mil> wrote:
>Bind v4.9.7 running on WinNT
>
>I need to configure it so that it will not return a version number, and so
>that it will not honor zone xfer requests.

I think the only way to get it not to respond to the version query is by
patching the source code.  It's a hard-coded feature and there's no runtime
configuration of it.

To prevent it from responding to zone transfer requests, use the xfrnets
directive in the boot file.  You give this a list of addresses that are
allowed to perform zone transfers, so

xfrnets 127.0.0.1

would block zone transfers from any other machines.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com