Is this correct behaviour?

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Aug 5 14:53:35 UTC 1999

    Anand> I am using bind 8.1.2. I have an entry in named.conf for zone
    Anand> 1.2.IN-ADDR.ARPA as below

    Anand> ;db.1.2      *******************************************
    Anand> @       IN      SOA     a.b.c.d. root.a.b.c.d. (
    Anand> 1       ; Serial
    Anand> 10800   ; Refresh every 3 hours
    Anand> 3600    ; Retry every hour
    Anand> 604800  ; Expire after a week
    Anand> 86400 ) ; Minimum ttl of 1 day
    Anand> IN      NS      a.b.c.d.

    Anand> 3.4    IN      PTR	hello.b.c.d.
    Anand> 6.5.4.3.2 IN   PTR     world.b.c.d.

    Anand> All RR's  seems to be loaded by the  server.  when I query
    Anand> the  server with type set to PTR and question to
    Anand> 6.5.4.3.2.2.1.in-addr.arpa.  I get the RR in reply.
    Anand> Should I get that reply ?

Yes. You asked for some resource record from the DNS. The name of that
resource record was in the DNS, so you got an answer with valid data
returned. That's what name servers do with valid queries from
resolvers... :-) Whether the name being queried is sensible or not is
another story.

As the owner of the 2.1.in-addr.arpa zone ut's up to you to decide if
the name 6.5.4.3.2.2.1.in-addr.arpa should be in that zone and, if so,
what it should point at. Since PTR records are usually in the form
A.B.C.D.in-addr.arpa, the entry in your zone file is probably
wrong. You've entered a PTR record for 6.5.4.3.2.2.1.in-addr.arpa in
the zone file, so I presume you must have your own reasons for wanting
this.