!! HELP !! no PTR records, no reverse lookup, and even worse... im a newbie!

pcmiller at uswest.net pcmiller at uswest.net
Thu Aug 5 05:13:09 UTC 1999

hello,

i am somewhat new to this, so please bear with me.  i cannot get my
DNS to show the PTR records.  basically when i do a nslookup on my IP
address, i get a timeout.  when i do the same for my domain by name,
it gets everything - but the PTR records.

what am i missing?

ns1.ecobyte.net		209.180.174.9
ns2.ecobyte.net		209.180.174.10
mail.ecobyte.net		209.180.174.11

dig me, dnswalk me...  no PTR records.

i have added the Primary Zone for 174.180.209.in-addr.arpa and i can
see all the PTR records in that folder when i view it under the
Microsoft DNS Manager...

is there something else i am supposed to do for reverse lookups?
everything i have read goes very quickly over this topic with little
information.

also, any extra information on SOA and NS records that you may be able
to provide would help...

i have the O'Reilly books "DNS on Windows NT" and "DNS and Bind", i
also have the New Riders "Windows NT DNS" book as well.  any
references will help...

TIA for anything,
pcmiller at uswest.net