configuring localhost as a dns server w/ linux

Rick Peniak rpeniak at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 03:31:04 UTC 1999

Hi All,

I would like to configure my machine as a caching-only dns server. I went
through section 3 of the dns howto and it doesn't work. I have 'nameserver
127.0.0.1' as the only entry in my /etc/resolv.conf file, I have named running,
and all files in the /var/named directory (root.hins, pz/127.0.0).

I have a classic ppp dial-up connection to my isp. I want to do this for the
sake of knowledge so that I can have my machine cache dns queries for (maybe or
maybe not) faster lookups.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.