Dynamic Updates to DNS

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Aug 7 04:56:45 UTC 1999

Rainer Ginsberg <rainer.ginsberg at de.bosch.com> wrote in message
news:<37A5A032.43837790 at de.bosch.com>...
> using BIND 8.2.1, dynamically adding a record to a zone
> also increases the serial number (which I expected).
> The new record and serial number seem to exist only in
> memory, as the zone file does not get updated.
>
> What happens, if this zone get reloaded? Don't you lose
> the new record and fall back to the old serial number?
> I would think that the lower serial number gives errors
> for other nameservers who query this one again?

When the name server processes the dynamic update, it should create a file
with the name <zone data file>.log.  The log file contains a record of the
update, in case the name server dies before rewriting the zone data file.
Then, some time less than 60 minutes after the update, the name server
should rewrite the zone data file from the copy in memory and delete the log
file.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.