How long usually for granitecanyon to publish?

David McMahon spammers at suck.org
Sat Aug 7 03:13:20 UTC 1999

Hi,

I just registered a new domain toolix.com at register.com and named
the DNS servers ns1 and ns2 at granitecanyon.com using my own
machine in an unpublished primary/master configuration.

I did this yesterday and www.toolix.com is still unavailable and a
nslookup at ns1.granitecanyon.com shows old DNS data using
register.com DNS servers.  Is this just because granitecanyon hasn't
gotten around to getting my zone data yet from my "unpublished"
primary/master? Or is this the sign of a bigger problem, like I screwed
up my zone data somehow.

This is the fun of using a FREE/unsupported DNS service like this
when you're also new at the DNS game.  You don't know exactly where
the problem is! :-)

I got two messages back from granitecanyon after responding to their
auto-email about the zone changes. Both contained this, which looks right:

toolix.com. IN SOB ns.seein.to djm.flashcom.net. (133917450)

(seein.to is another domain I'm hosting at the same IP address as
toolix.com)

The nslookup @ns1.granitecanyon.com looks like this:

> server ns1.granitecanyon.com
Default Server:  ns1.granitecanyon.com
Address:  199.239.20.4

> ls -d toolix.com
[ns1.granitecanyon.com]
                        1D IN SOA       ns root (
                                        199908051       ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

                        1D IN NS        ns
                        1D IN NS        dns5.register.com.
                        1D IN NS        dns6.register.com.
                        1D IN MX        0 @
                        1D IN MX        10 mail.flashcom.net.
                        1D IN A         209.67.233.3
localhost               1D IN A         127.0.0.1
mail                    1D IN CNAME     @
www                     1D IN CNAME     @
ns                      1D IN A         209.67.233.3
ftp                     1D IN CNAME     @
@                       1D IN SOA       ns root (
                                        199908051       ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

It's still showing the register.com name servers, not to mention the
wrong mail exchangers.

Any ideas?

thx
dave