Is this correct behaviour?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Mon Aug 9 17:56:41 UTC 1999

Anand S Medikeri wrote:

>  Sorry for bothering again.
>
>  As far I know  in-addr.arpa  domain maps IP addresses to hostnames.  If
>  my   understanding   is  true  then  it  dosen't  make  sense  to  load
>  6.5.4.3.2.in-addr.arpa RR since a host cannot have 1.2.2.3.4.5.6 as its
>  IP address.  And if it takes it to be CIDR than why is it not ture with
>  A RR which when has data portion as  1.2.2.3.4.5.6  says not a valid IP
>  addr.
>
>  I am using nslookup to get the PTR records. For
>
>  nslookup -type=ptr 1.2.3.4
>  I get an answer and for
>  nslookup -type=ptr 1.2.2.3.4.5.6
>  I get an error message. So which one to fix nslookup or named.
>
>  Please correct me if my understanding about in-addr.arpa is wrong.

What error did you get? I doubt the first query worked as entered on the
line above, since no zone name is specified.

THERE is no reason you can not have a record called
"1.2.2.3.4.5.6.in-addr.arpa". Your zone name,  for RFC2317 purposes
could be 3.4.5.6.in-addr.arpa. It just a sone name. It is still legal.