BIND and DNS !!!

Bill Selmeier Bill_Selmeier at isc.org
Tue Aug 10 16:33:03 UTC 1999

I'm  sure you will get many answers to this but let me start with:

DNS  is the Domain Name System.  Its the term for the IETF (Internet
Engineering Task Force) defined function/procedure for resolving (mapping)
domain names into IP addresses

BIND is the Berkeley Internet Name Domain system a set of programs provided
through us, the Internet Software Consortium, in source code format that
performs the DNS function in the manner defined by the IETF.  (At least we
try to!  There are always some (minor?) differences between the IETF and
BIND often arising from having to put some function in code before the
final vote in the IETF.

As to benefits, hmmm...  Can you imagine addressing the more than 43
million addresses (according to the Jan 99 Host Domain Survey) simply with
their IP numbers?  Humans don't work that way.

Bill