Help!!! MX is driving me nuts

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Aug 10 19:08:04 UTC 1999

Without real domain names or further info, it is difficult to assist.
Basically, you are saying.

I am the web server for some domain.
I can't get mail.somedomain to work.

Without the domain name or zone file info, it is impossible to determine
what the problem is.

Ken Holmes wrote:

> Can anyone help me I have a primary domain who's dns is handled by
> another server not controlled by me.  So I they set it up as
> mail.primarydomain.com works great
> So I set up my system as a small time DNS system so I don't have to wait
> and rely on them and pay them to map multiple domains.  OK so here is my
> multiple problems.
> Problem #1 I used Linuxconf and netconf  <---Very Dumb move I know
> OK So here is the real problem #1 I can't make my servers have a mail
> server like mail.domain2.com or mail.domain3.com.  I can only get them
> to work as domain2.com and domain3.com

Do you have A records for mail.domainx.com??

> OK now the big problem.
> #2 I got 2 other domains working fine and I can send mail and receive
> mail.
> Now a buddy asked me for a favor and I gave him web space and I
> registered his domain with Internic and I went to the server and
> recreated in the same steps what I did for the other 2 domains and it
> doesn't work. I got the address working like www.friendsdomain.com but I
> can't get the mail server working when I try to send an email to
> buddy at friendsdomain.com it bounces back and says
> Host unknown (Name server: mail.friendsdomain.com.: host not found)
> This is driving me crazy

Is there an A record for mail.friendsdomain.com
Does internic have you listed as the server?

All you need to do is tell us the domain name. Or post the appropriate
sections of the zone file.

Michael