8.2 split DNS

Matt Larson matt at acmebw.com
Tue Aug 10 22:14:02 UTC 1999

At 12:14 PM 8/9/99 -0400, Frank Cusack wrote:
>The README in 8.2.1 says, under "highlights":
>

>         "Split DNS" via zone type "forward".
>

>How do you do split DNS with zone type "forward"?

Unfortunately, the term "split DNS" means different things to different
people.  We (as in Acme Byte & Wire) use it to mean two different views of
the same name space, typically an internal, complete view and an
Internet-accessible, pared-down "shadow zone".  You can't do that with
forwarding--for now it takes at least two name server processes to present
two different views of the same zone.

Zones of type forward do let you send queries for different domain names to
different name servers.

Matt

--
Matt Larson <matt at acmebw.com>