resolv.conf problem??

Bennett Samowich brs at fsproduce.com
Wed Aug 11 13:31:24 UTC 1999

Greetings,

This is a simple matter I'm sure...

We have set up several sub-domains in our system and are experiencing some
weirdness with regards to name resolution.  I figure that it is in the
resolv.conf file but I'm not sure.

Here is what is going on:

* The DNS servers reside on the primary domain.

* /etc/resolv.conf (remaining sub-domains removed for simplicity)
  search fsproduce.com madc.fsproduce.com training.fsproduce.com
  nameserver 172.16.1.3
  nameserver 172.16.1.7
  nameserver 204.249.184.2

* zones
  fsproduce.com
  madc.fsproduce.com
  training.fsproduce.com
  -- etc --

* PROBLEM (host1 is on the training subnet)
  When I query for host1 DNS can't find the address,
  however, when I query for host1.training is does.

  #> nslookup host1
  Server:  vpn1.madc.fsproduce.com
  Address:  172.16.1.3

  *** vpn1.madc.fsproduce.com can't find host1: Non-existent host/domain

  #> nslookup host1.training
  Server:  vpn1.madc.fsproduce.com
  Address:  172.16.1.3

  Name:    host1.training.fsproduce.com