bug or misconfiguration?

Joe Pruett joey at q7.com
Thu Aug 12 05:52:54 UTC 1999

intel.com has been ending up in a non-resolvable state every once in a
while on my machine.  i don't see this elsewhere, but my system seems to
behave normally with other domains.  here is the state things are at right
now:

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> ns intel.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      intel.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
intel.com.              3h43m28s IN NS  ns.intel.com.
intel.com.              3h43m28s IN NS  cps.ns.intel.com.

;; Total query time: 6 msec
;; FROM: q7.q7.com to SERVER: default -- 206.58.126.2
;; WHEN: Wed Aug 11 22:48:39 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 27  rcvd: 62

note that there are no a records for ns.intel.com or cps.ns.intel.com,
thus rendering the domain inoperative until those time out.  one thing
that i know can cause problems is returning different info from what the
nic hands out, which intel is doing.  but the different info seems to be
internally consistent (all the same ttls, all the servers return the
same thing, and they all claim authority).

so how is bind losing the a records?  the other servers i've poked at seem
to keep the info they get from the internic, which seems wrong since it
shouldn't be marked authoritative.  is this just some subtle
misconfiguration that 8.2.1 is showing up?