DNS Problem

Marcio Lima mdelima at riosoft.softex.br
Tue Aug 17 11:45:51 UTC 1999

I have a Linux box connected to the Internet through a modem (demand
dialing) acting as a gateway for a local network.. Everytime the Box comes
up It tries to connect to the Internet. If it succeed, everything goes well.
Otherwise, all the clients, in the local networking trying to connect to the
Linux Box, get a very, very slow service at connect time(Telnet, mail,etc).
I could see that It happens because somehow the Linux Box uses DNS to
authenticate the users and, as the Internet is unconnected, it takes ages to
authorize the user due to a long time-out. I cannot see why this is
happening because all my files (passwd, group, etc) is the Box.

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks,
Marcio Lima
Net Open Corp