Dumb question on Hosts file - DNS migration

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Aug 18 02:23:44 UTC 1999

If the localserver entry is different at different locations, then a
hostsfile might be necessary. One alternative: On the primary, put a NS
record for localserver.theory.co.nz pointing at localhost. DNS should
have an A record for localhost, or localhost.thecoy.co.nz as 127.0.0.1.
Then, on the local DNS secondary server for theory.thecoy.co.nz, you put
a secondary zone for the domain localserver.theory.co.nz. In this zone,
you put the A record for the local localserver.

Michael