Naming the Nameservers

Michel Marcon NOSPAM.michel.marcon at vnumail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:04:31 UTC 1999

Hi
While I understand your concerns, I don't agree with this type of
naming convention. Naming a proxy 'proxy.society.com' or or a mail
gateway 'mail.unicorn.net' may alert the wily hacker. Let this one
take pain and try to discover the real usage of each and every
computer of a target LAN. Yes I know, he might use a scanner, but why
should you try to hel him?

Other right examples:
Mailserver:      octopus.unicorn.net
Proxy:                nelson.society.com

Just an idea, of course.
HTH

On 17 Aug 1999 22:21:08 -0700, Ronald Procopio
<RonaldMarkProcopio at netscape.net> wrote:

>David Carmean wrote:
>>
>> [ I'm sorry...this is not exactly BIND-specific, but it looks
>> like comp.protocols.tci-ip.domains should be renamed
>> comp.POLITICS.tcp-ip.domains. ]
>>
>> So far, all of the nameservers I've built/administered have
>> done double-duty as both the authoritative ("listed") nameservers
>> (for hundreds of domains, at the ISP jobs), and as caching
>> servers resolving queries for client machines (e.g. dialup users,
>> desktops, etc).
>>
>> I'm looking for ideas for a naming scheme for these servers that
>> makes clear the distinction between the two functions.  One case
>> I remember, for a large ISP, had the authoritative/published
>> servers named NS1, NS2, etc., and the caching-only (presumably)
>> servers for the clients named DNS1, DNS2, etc.  I'd use
>> ns-resolver-1, etc, but I'd rather find something shorter.
>>
>> Anybody done/seen anything that they like better?  I'd like it if
>> the names could serve a dual purpose and sort of educate people
>> that there's a distinction between the two.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> David Carmean                                           <dlc at netapp.com>
>>   PGP fingerprint =  B1 57 EB A8 1D B9 87 86  5F 5C 51 A4 F2 5E ED FD
>>
>>         My God, it's full of Cars!
>

>How about nscache1, nscache2 for the caching servers?

Michel Marcon Sysadmin UNIX & WNT
and guitar player....
NOSPAM.michel.marcon at vnumail.com