Named 4.9.7-REL and Default Domains?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Aug 18 22:09:25 UTC 1999

> In short:
> 	Know of any way to get named 4.9.7 to supply a domain name for  un-fully
> qualified hosts?
>
> In long:
> 	I am running BIND on BSDI 4.01 and am having problems with Windows PPP
> clients (dialup to Cisco AS5300) who are running Lotus Notes. (Ick).
>
> Lotus Notes doesn't provide FQDN for its queries from client to server. And
> I am not having much luck getting BIND to use a default domain.
>

> I have created a resolve.conf with the following information:
>
> search ourdomain.com ourdomain2.com ourdomain3.com
> nameserver 208.43.1.3
>

> However still no go. When I run named with the named.boot file command of
> "options query-log" I can see the queries in the log, and it doesn't look
> like they are getting completed.
>
> Here is a small log cut, the first 3 are notes clients, and the last 3 are
> web surfers:
>
> Aug 18 13:04:23 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.200/notes02/A
> Aug 18 13:04:32 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.120/notes01/A
> Aug 18 13:04:45 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.200/notes02/A
> Aug 18 13:15:48 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.42/previewtravel.aol.com/A
> Aug 18 13:15:52 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.12/www.previewtravel.com/A
> Aug 18 13:15:53 ns named[1490]: XX /x.x.x.72/view.avenuea.com/A
>
> Note the short name provided by the notes clients, and the fully qualified
> domains by the web servers.
>
> Putting named into debug dosn't help much either (perhaps due to my lack of
> experience in reading its output).
>
> Know of any way to force it to provide a default domain?
>
> Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Didn't you send an almost identical message a couple of hours ago?

The resolver search order on your DNS server [in /etc/resolv.conf] has
NO effect on the search order in your MS Windwoes boxes.

Have you verified that the domains and DNS search orders on your MS
Wind-ows LN clients are correct?  Each box has to be set correctly.

This has to do with the resolution routines compiled into your client
by IBM/Lotus.  If the search orders on your MSW boxes are correct, then
there may be something in Lotus Notes that affects this.  Otherwise,
I don't know what to suggest.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B