How to set up DNS to only add aliases?

Itai Tavor itavor at vic.bigpond.net.au.REMOVEME
Thu Aug 19 08:00:30 UTC 1999

Michael Voight wrote:

> Itai Tavor wrote:
> >
> > I should have given more information in my original post...
> >
> > What I want to do is create sub-domain names, not assign registered
> > domain names. So, if the ISP's DNS is the master for mycompany.com, I
> > want to create aliases of the form sub1.mycompany.com,
> > sub2.mycompany.com, etc. But to do that, it seems to me that I need to
> > set up my own DNS as master for the mycompany.com domain, which would
> > clash with the ISP.
>
> But if you did that, there would be no reason for the ISP to be the
> master for the zone. You don't have to be the master for mycompany.com.
> You can simply have the ISP put an NS record in the mycompany.com zone
> that delegates the subzoness to you.
>
> Michael

Yeah, I realize that... I'm just trying to avoid having to go through
the ISP every time I want a new alias. I don't want to take over DNS
responsibilities for the whole site, but I do want immediate, local
control over my aliases.

It's just a Convenience issue... if it's not an easy thing to set up
I'll just ask the ISP.