NT Bind - Internal resolution

Matt Larson matt at acmebw.com
Thu Aug 19 18:11:51 UTC 1999

At 12:48 PM 8/19/99 -0500, Briley, Danny wrote:
>I apologize in advance if this has been asked before but I did not see it in
>July or August archives.  I would like to hard-code an internal address to
>an NT/Bind server for a specific site that is different from the resolution
>one would get via the internet.  My clients that point to that server need
>to access that site via our company WAN vs. proxying out  to the internet.
>I have tried adding to the NT hosts file to no avail.  Any suggestions?  Is
>further clarification needed?

What version of BIND are you using?  BIND version 8.2.1, which isn't
available yet on NT to my knowledge, has flexible forwarding that would
solve your problem exactly.  You could say something like:

zone "business-partner.com" {
   type forward;
   forwarders { 192.168.1.1; };
};

...and that would direct all queries for any domain names ending in
business-partner.com to the name server at 192.168.1.1.  Check Point
(formerly MetaInfo) will probably have an NT port of BIND 8.2.1 available
sometime reasonably soon.

But I'm betting you're using a Dr. Coffsite port of BIND that's version
4.9.5 or 4.9.7, so the above isn't an option.  IF you're not using
forwarding, you can solve this problem by making your name server a stub
for the zone in question.  That causes your name server to load NS records
for the remote zone (and the zone's SOA and any glue A records),
effectively telling your name server how to reach the name servers for the
other zone.

But stub won't solve your problem if you're forwarding, since that
overrides the normal resolution process.  In that case, you'd need to make
your name server a slave (secondary) for the zone and any subzones (i.e.,
business-partner.com, sales.business-partner.com, etc.).

Matt