Giving out tcp/ip Port Information

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 19 20:23:10 UTC 1999

> 	Is there any way besides a TXT record for a dns to give out
> special information to a remote host about such things as the port
> number to be used to make a connection?
>
> 	I am 99.9% certain of the answer on this, but I hate to tell
> somebody that something can not be done until all the avenues have
> been checked.  I believe this person is trying to get around an
> application that is broken, anyway so even a TXT record isn't going to
> help much.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group

ISTM that there is an experimental SRV record (RFC 2052) that might be
being used for something like that.  Of course, "experimental" means
that your application is not going to use it any more than it would a
TXT record, unless it is specifically modified to do so [in either
case].

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B