Lookup question

Tony Moran tony_moran at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 19:35:34 UTC 1999

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
(Mr. DNS please see below for my original post - thanks :)

>By doing this, you lose much of the flexibility of separate domains.
>You can't have an "aliens" name in horror AND sci-fi AND comedy, and
>still expect to use the flat namespace to address it.

One of the reasons I asked the question is that in our domain different
groups may
make use of different Notes servers in other domains depending on the size
of par-
ticular offices.  Notes, apparently, doesnt make use of domains, so it won't
know
what to do with a FQDN - only just the hostname.  Of course when my primary
receives the request, it will assume its in the local domain and of course
wont be
able to resolve it.

Also, many of our nameservers act as secondaries for each other.  What is
the behaviour
of named when it receives a request from a client in the local domain for
/either/
simply a hostname or a fqdn that resides in one of the domains that my
primary is also a secondary for.  Will the named also check through the db
files of those secondaries ?
Or will the request be passed on to the root servers ?  It seems a waste of
zone-transfers and disk space if  named cannot be configured to also check
those db files for that hostname.

Should I perhaps set up a forwarder pointing at my top-level nameserver
(ns.movie.edu)
What happens when my fqdn or hostname arrives there ?  Will it give up on
the hostname
and simply pass back down the line to the appropriate sub-domain name server
the fqdn ?

As for:

> Even on my primary nameserver I cannot do lookups on hosts in other
> sub-domains on the same level of our  'domain tree' despite having that
> domain listed in the search order in  my resolv.conf.

To follow on from this, check this out :

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

search horror.movies.edu comedy.movies.edu sci-fi.movies.edu movies.edu
nameserver 234.455.454.455
nameserver 234.455.454.456

So :
$ nslookup ahost.comedy.movies.edu
Server: myns.horror.movies.edu
Address: 234.455.454.456

Name: ahost.comedy.movies.edu
Address: 288.130.433.12

Which is fine.
But :

$ nslookup ahost
Server: myns.horror.movies.edu
Address: 234.455.454.456

*** myns.horror.movies.edu can't find ahost: Non-existant host/domain

Thanks for your time & help,

Tony