How to set up DNS to only add aliases?

Itai Tavor itavor at vic.bigpond.net.au.REMOVEME
Fri Aug 20 00:40:29 UTC 1999

> > Yeah, I realize that... I'm just trying to avoid having to go through
> > the ISP every time I want a new alias. I don't want to take over DNS
> > responsibilities for the whole site, but I do want immediate, local
> > control over my aliases.
> >
> > It's just a Convenience issue... if it's not an easy thing to set up
> > I'll just ask the ISP.
>
> Perfectly easy.  If you are domain puddle.net.au, then ask them to have
> subdomains drip.puddle.net.au, drop.puddle.net.au, frog.puddle.net.au,
> whose name server is ... YOU.  Then you can have hosts
> h2o.drip.puddle.net.au, splash.drop.puddle.net.au,
> tadpole.frog.puddle.net.au, or whatever you want ... all out of your
> own DNS.  You can even invent further subdomains; although that might
> start getting a little ... out of hand ... you don't want people who
> want to come to your site to be forced to remember and type in, e.g.,
> www.dot.wart.skin.tail.tadpole.frog.puddle.net.au.  ;-)
>
> If you don't want to have subdomains, either you must control your
> whole domain, or your ISP must.  There is not and never has been such a
> thing as having part of a domain's information at one place, and
> another part at another place.  An authoritative name server is just
> that - THE, the ONE, the FULLY KNOWLEDGEABLE, the SOURCE, THE name
> server for that domain, no other sources needed.

Thanks for all the replies. I understand now that in order for my
changes to propagate my DNS has to be master for the domain, and there
can only be one master. So the only way to achieve what I wanted is to
have control only over a sub-domain, as Joseph suggested above. What I
thought would be possible was to have my DNS add alias records to a
domain controlled by another DNS - obviously impossible. Another
interesting suggestion made is to have the ISP include a file that is
under my control into their named.conf. I'll

Thanks again.

Itai