NS record for the @ entry

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Aug 20 15:45:37 UTC 1999

> Does anyone know why there must be a NS record for the @ entry ?
> As my understanding, the NS record is pointing to the local machine
> and it is the local machine the SOA for this zone, so why is the NS
> record still necessary for the @ entry ???

The NS records point to the local machine AND all other name servers.
So, you get ALL of the name servers when you pull down the records in
the zone file.  Also, IIRC, a zone transfer from "master" to "slave"
needs NS records to be legit.  [I don't have time to check the code for
this.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B