Need to provide MX for 2 domains, but no public computers on

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Aug 20 17:41:11 UTC 1999

> // thecreek.com domain
> zone "thecreek.com" in {
>         type master;
> };

Missing a file name.

> // Web server domains -- aliased
> zone "coldwaterinc.com" in {
>         file "pz/coldwaterinc.com";
> };

Missing a type, presumably master or slave.

> // Reverse 10.1.0
> zone "0.1.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "rz/10.1.0";
> };
>
> // Reverse 10.2.0
> zone "0.2.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "rz/10.2.0";
> };
>
> // Reverse 10.3.0
> zone "0.3.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "rz/10.3.0";
> };
>

> Yes, I know I need to remove the reverse mappings and I'll do that, but I
> can't fathom how it could be affecting the pkb.thecreek.com lookups
> (pkb.thecreek.com is the 10.3 subnet)

Didn't you say that your problem was a "server error"?  'Nslookup'
returns one such an error if it cannot do a valid lookup on the server
IP address named in /etc/resolv.conf.  This is one of many
possibilities, since you did not say WHAT the "server error" was.  [Did
you look in your syslog output?]

> Here's the /var/named/pz/pkb.thecreek.com file:
>      @       IN      SOA     ns2.thecreek.com. bkosse.thecreek.com. (
>                              1       ; Serial
>                              7200    ; Refresh every 2 hours
>                              300     ; Retry every 5 minutes
>                              2592000 ; Expire after 30 days
>                              6000)   ; TTL expires in 1 hour
>
>      ; Name Server Records
>      #INCLUDE inc/ns-external.inc
>
>      ; MX mail exchanger settings
>      ; MX for pkb.thecreek.com
>      #INCLUDE inc/mx.inc pkb
>
> /var/named/inc/mx.inc:
>              IN      MX      10 ns2.thecreek.com.
>              IN      MX      20 ns.thecreek.com.

More importantly, what's in inc/ns-external.inc that could be blocking
the MX records?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov