root-server trouble?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 20 18:08:34 UTC 1999

> > > I can't query b and i.root-servers.net (ping is ok). In addition,
> > > k.root-servers.net gives me flaky answers (e.g., it doesn't know about
> > > devcon.net, while a does).
> >
> > can't tell about your issues w/ b & i.
> > k only has the root, a has root and net - hence the difference.
>
> Curious.  Bill, you sure about that?  Look what's listed first, below.
> [Hmmm ... "GTLD" servers?]
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> net	nameserver = K.GTLD-SERVERS.net
> net	nameserver = J.GTLD-SERVERS.net
> net	nameserver = G.ROOT-SERVERS.net
> net	nameserver = F.ROOT-SERVERS.net
> .... more of the list....

	cleverly spotted.  the root servers are (currently) in
	the root-servers.net zone.  historically (pre 1995) there
	were nine servers that housed the root zone and the generic
	tlds (com, net, org & others).  when we figured out how to
	add four new servers in 1995, the plan was to split out the
	gtlds to their own servers and only home the root and
	infrastructure zones on the "roots".  we started down that
	path & politics got in the way... :(

	hence you see some servers for gtlds that seem to mirror
	the root servers.

	k.root-servers.net houses the root zone
	k.gtld-servers.net houses com,net,org etc. but not the root.

	we are still moving in that direction, however slowly. :)

--
--bill