Retrying this regarding a subdomain not being found

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Aug 20 21:20:17 UTC 1999

> This works if I put pkb.thecreek.com	IN	MX	10 ns2.thecreek.com
> in the /var/named/pz/thecreek.com file instead of the current $INCLUDE line.
> If I have to do that, fine, but I'd rather not.

I certainly hope you mean the [different!] line:

pkb.thecreek.com.	IN	MX	10 ns2.thecreek.com.

> Here's /etc/named.conf
> // pkb.thecreek.com
> //zone "pkb.thecreek.com" in {
> //	type master;
> //	file "pz/pkb.thecreek.com";
> //};

so, of course, the pz/pkb.thecreek.com file is ignored ...

> /var/named/pz/thecreek.com
> ; MX mail exchanger settings
> ; MX for pkb.thecreek.com
> ;$INCLUDE inc/mx-pkb.inc
>
> ; MX mail exchanger settings
> ; MX for ns.thecreek.com
> ns.thecreek.com.		IN	MX	10 ns.thecreek.com.
> ns.thecreek.com.		IN	MX	20 ns2.thecreek.com.
>
> ; MX mail exchanger settings
> ; MX for pkb.thecreek.com
> $INCLUDE inc/mx.inc pkb

> /var/named/pz/pkb.thecreek.com
ignored, as mentioned above.

> /var/named/inc/mx.inc
> 	IN      MX      10 ns2.thecreek.com.
> 	IN      MX      20 ns.thecreek.com.
> ;	IN	MX	30 ns12.dmi.net.

Near as I can tell, this should work.  It does, in fact, with an 8.2.1
on Linux here.  Are you sure there aren't any "invisible" control
characters in the files that didn't make it to mail?  ^M's?  Anything?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B