SOA not at top of zone

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 20 22:48:23 UTC 1999

In article <525406735.935187280517.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>,
 <Christine.Tran at east.sun.com> wrote:
>Recently Mark Andrews said:
>
>                  SOA stands for Start Of Authority.  All RRs at or below the
>                  SOA belong to the zone, until a new SOA is reached.  This
>                  includes NS records.
>
>Does this mean I can have more than one SOA per zone file? That part
>about "until a new SOA is reached" confuses me a little because he also
>said:
>
>                  All zones contain
>                  a SOA record and a NS RRset at the top of a zone.
>
>Well, I made some fake subdomains, each with one A record, and I threw it
>all in one zone file.  For each I wrote an SOA and NS RR set, and I used
>FQDN dotted instead of $ORIGIN.  My named.conf defines each zone, but
>uses the same file.  Now my named complains that SOA is not at zone top,
>data outside of zone are being ignored.  Everything resolves, but debug
>output is messy.  Is this not kosher??

BIND 4.9 and higher only allows one zone per file.  An SOA record defines
the start of a new zone.  Therefore, there can only be one SOA record per
file.

NS records in the parent zone indicate where that zone ends.  And we've
already gone over why NS records are also required at the top of the
subzone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com