where to declare

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 24 13:41:56 UTC 1999

In article <37C19EB3.328CAF18 at cybercable.tm.fr>,
Gerard M. Mamou <gmamou at cybercable.tm.fr> wrote:
>Q1: Is there a way to become a secondary NS for a zone and all its
>subzone?
>rather than explicit??

No.  Secondary DNS has to be configured explicitly on a per-zone basis.
There's no way for a slave server to interrogate the master server to find
out all its zones, so the slave can't automatically configure itself.

And why would you want this?  The main reason for delegating a subzone is
because you want to have different servers for the two zones.

>Q2: I just have all my A, MX, TXT records for bogusbis.my.domain in
>my.domain file except SOA (of course) and no NS record.
>When I update my.domain file, I am getting AFXR from my ISP name server,
>that is fine!
>And the good thing is that my secondary ISP name server  knows about
>bogusbis.my.domain A, MX, TXT and so machines.bogusbis.my.domain .....
>Is it technically speaking OK to do this.

Of course.  This is why there's a difference between a domain and a zone.
You don't have to create a subzone just because you're creating a
subdomain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com