ndc Problems

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Aug 24 15:15:49 UTC 1999

    Edward> I have an ndc in /usr/local/sbin that is 755 root:staff -
    Edward> Should there be a /var/run/ndc ?

Probably. /usr/local/sbin/ndc is presumably the pathname of the ndc
program on your computer. /var/run/ndc is the usual pathname for the
control socket that the ndc program uses to talk to the name server.

    Edward> Also my boot.conf has this in it....

I assume you meant named.conf....

    Edward> controls {
    Edward>	unix "/var/run/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 10;
    Edward> };

    Edward> So I know something is wrong - I'm just not sure how this
    Edward> file gets in /var/run ;)

The file lives in /var/run because you told named to put it there!
What do you think the controls{} statement you quoted does?

There's nothing wrong. You've got a valid controls{} statement. Your
name server creates /var/run/ndc with the appropriate ownerships and
permissions when it starts. The ndc program uses that Unix domain
socket to communicate with named.